verge (vʉrj)
noun
the edge, brink, or margin (of something): also used figuratively the verge of the forest, on the verge of hysteria

verg′·ing
to tend or incline (to or toward)
to be in the process of change or transition into something else; pass gradually (into) dawn verging into daylight




Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Buddy's System



Buddy was awake when we arrived today.  He jumped right up for us.  Bright eyes! Usually he's so sound asleep that I inadvertently startle him each time I arrive.  He was up and at 'em today, though.  He has no time to waste.

The note on the counter was unusually long.  I could see right away that there were too many words on the page.  Too many for comfort. Don't think I'll read this, I thought.  But I knew better, and I read it. And then I had to read it again. These are the wrong words. They must be.  Buddy is sick, the vet says.  And, he's 15 years old. It's running through his system, but he doesn't seem to be in pain. Oh....

But I am.

Not Buddy--certainly not today, anyway.  We walked in his brand new red harness and he loved it.  Much more comfortable than his old collar.  He didn't care about going to far, but he did want to inspect every plant and rock and tree stump along the way.  Quality over quantity, he said.

Buddy's an avid Red Sox fan.  He witnessed the Reverse of the Curse.  He likes what he sees of the new Nava and he predicts a very good season for the Nation.  Late October is high season for us. Buddy and I have our secret October rituals.  He and I--we'll be rooting them along. That's what buddies do.

1 comment:

  1. Great posts. All of them. I'm glad you've got friends.
    Don't forget that Buddy is exactly Buddy-sized. In all dimensions. Including time.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete