verge (vʉrj)
noun
the edge, brink, or margin (of something): also used figuratively the verge of the forest, on the verge of hysteria

verg′·ing
to tend or incline (to or toward)
to be in the process of change or transition into something else; pass gradually (into) dawn verging into daylight




Sunday, August 16, 2009

Verge: definition

verge (vʉrj)
noun
the edge, brink, or margin (of something): also used figuratively the verge of the forest, on the verge of hysteria
Brit. a grassy border, as along a road
an enclosing line or border; boundary, esp. of something more or less circular
the area so enclosed
the edge of the tiling that projects over a gable
the spindle of a balance wheel in a clock with an old-style vertical escapement
a rod or staff symbolic of an office, as that carried before a church official in processions
Eng. Feudal Law a rod held in the hand by a feudal tenant as he swore fealty to his lord


verg′·ing
to tend or incline (to or toward)
to be in the process of change or transition into something else; pass gradually (into) dawn verging into daylight



Welcome to the verge. I like its meaning. Certainly I am on the brink or edge of something--many things. And hopefully hysteria is not one of them. I am on the verge of 50. The verge of launching my youngest daughter. Selling my house. Moving. Going broke (or preferably going rich?).

I was on quite a verge a few years ago. I didn't like it then as I do now. Reeling from a divorce, I didn't know how I would support myself, pay the mortgage or replace the light bulbs. My family and friends didn't seem as daunted as I was. I thought they were crazy. You can do it, they'd say. I hadn't a clue where to begin.

While I was trying to figure all that out, I began walking dogs for a friend. I didn't pay much attention to it--I just did it. I used the walks to plan my future and sort out the details as to how I would get my feet on the ground. Walk after walk I pondered my dilemma, coming up with just a mess of ideas but no closer to The Thing that would snap my life into place. Months went by. More walks, more dogs. Now some cats. Bunnies! 80 Giant Rabbits. A bird. A goldfish. I was beginning to find myself too busy to plan my life--I was already somehow living it and enjoying it.

The dogs--those dogs. They walked me through it, along with my parents and children, a steady companion, and friends. The dogs never had to say a word. Always, always, always, they are happy when I arrive and they show me how to walk and how not to worry. We spend many of our walks on the verge. But instead of rushing from it and getting to where they think we should be, they are curious about it. They sniff, the double sniff, and they read what's right there.

I must make decisions, and soon. But I am going to turn the process over to my four-legged friends and allow them to take me along. Along the way, I will introduce you to each of them and share what they do. Who knows where I will be in a year? No one. So let's go out for a walk and not worry about it.

2 comments:

  1. So many of us live our lives on the verge and never notice it until we're actually over the edge.

    Just remember: often, the verge is a good place to be. It's not usually a good place to stay.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete