verge (vʉrj)
noun
the edge, brink, or margin (of something): also used figuratively the verge of the forest, on the verge of hysteria

verg′·ing
to tend or incline (to or toward)
to be in the process of change or transition into something else; pass gradually (into) dawn verging into daylight




Tuesday, May 4, 2010

April Fooled Me

I know we had April, because my accountant made several appearances and that's his favorite month.  But I seemed to get lost in these woods for the last several weeks.  Worry not, I was fine.  I had Otis with me for much of it and we walked our way from March's madness to the warmth of May.

We began each day with a very private and quiet walk along the pond where we were tiny souls among the large white pines.  The ground was covered in dried pine needles and so even we couldn't hear ourselves coming.  No one was awake in the wee hours, not even the pond.  On this particular morning we stopped awhile and looked out into the nothingness of the fog.  It was as though the bank was right where the edge of the world stopped and the edge of the universe began.  We could see nothing beyond that point and our eyes couldn't penetrate its depth.  Even Otis paused to pay reverence to the stillness. We walked along together, Otis with his leash slack which, if you know him at all, doesn't happen too often.  This became our morning ritual.

And while we were out there I would earnestly say to myself

"Write".

And then later in the day I'd earnestly say

"Nah...tomorrow".

And then tomorrow would come and I'd earnestly say

"I don't remember how".

And the more I did this, the more daunting became The Verge.  Finally I made a deal with myself to write one thing--just one little thing--before April ended.  Simple.  I could do that.  I felt relieved by the plan. Well, that's exactly what I thought I was doing today--making good on my promise to myself-- but to my shock, I see that April slipped away while I was busy thinking about it.

The Verge posts that you haven't read because they didn't make it to the keyboard include:

  • House Hits the Market
  • Dumpster Diva-hood:  Turning That Useless Junk into Useless Garbage
  • The Benefits of Having Oil in Your Recalled Toyota
  • Puttin' on the Pink Slip
  • Septic Systems and How Much You'll Pay
  • The Divas Do Shay's
  • Nice Walmart People Who Don't Steal Your Wallet When You Accidentally Leave It There
  • Backing the Recalled Toyota Really Hard into Agway (at least it had oil)
  • Backing the Recalled Toyota Really Fast into PB's car (at least it had oil)
  • Making Friends with Scrap Metal Experts
  • See Libby Stroke!
  • Sara Heads to Brighton
  • Meredith:  Excuse Me, But Just When Exactly Did You Grow Up, Kid?
But for today, I've met my goal.  I have broken the ice once again.  Time is going by too fast to think about where it's going.  Otis, Boo, and Millie were constant companions in April, along with the regulars.  They rolled with time, while I just rolled. But I noticed something in that April roll.  It revealed itself to me on the last day of April.  At one end of my day was a family memorial service where I saw again the fog of the unknown beyond the world's edge.  And at the other end of my day was Meredith's prom, where in her eyes I saw where the edge of the universe begins.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Alice. I have missed your voice. So glad that you and Beagle have started to type again.
    Finny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh. A whole month between posts? What a slacker. You won't catch ME going 30 days without a post.

    40 days--maybe. But not 30. Definitely not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey uphill--you're partly how i got my ass in gear again.

    ReplyDelete