verge (vʉrj)
noun
the edge, brink, or margin (of something): also used figuratively the verge of the forest, on the verge of hysteria

verg′·ing
to tend or incline (to or toward)
to be in the process of change or transition into something else; pass gradually (into) dawn verging into daylight




Friday, May 27, 2011

Mercy Freaks

Mercy gets a gold medal for running off-lead through the woods.  She stays fairly close and comes most of the time she's called. She wears a cowbell to warn others of her approach and to let me know if she's still in the same zip code. For walking with a leash, however, she gets maybe an honorable mention at best.  I decided it was time to rein her in and teach her some leash manners.  Typically she spends our leash walks bulldozing forward, all fours scooping, no, gouging into the pavement while she gasps and chokes, attempting to lengthen her neck and my arm by 12 or 14 inches.  I spend the time being dragged all around and making spitting sounds (I thought she would be intimidated by them....but, no...).  I decided to switch us over to the Gentle Leader which is designed to prevent dogs from pulling on the leash and to help wimpy owners take command.  Here's how it went:


Refusing to walk


Pretending she doesn't know, see, or hear me....


Attempting to chew her way to freedom....

Eventually, she caved in and began to walk like a very nice dog.  We seem to have the problem licked.  Now if only I could take the thing off and get her to wear it....

No comments:

Post a Comment