verge (vʉrj)
noun
the edge, brink, or margin (of something): also used figuratively the verge of the forest, on the verge of hysteria

verg′·ing
to tend or incline (to or toward)
to be in the process of change or transition into something else; pass gradually (into) dawn verging into daylight




Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Oakley Dokely


It was a late call about someone in great distress.  I turned on the back lights and opened the office door. Come on in, I said.  On his heels came Oakley.  She had come to help out--to be available, just in case.  I asked that she wait in the waiting room while I assessed the situation.  She quickly took her place in the darkened room, quietly waiting.  I was reassured that she was there. She had unintentionally become my anchor. After I awhile, I asked that she come in and sit close to him.

We sat together quietly.  I watched her watch him.  A sturdy stance and softened eyes provided him kindness and strength. Urgency gave way to calm.  Air began to circulate again. With no words spoken, Oakley gave him a home, a future, a reason to smile.  She liked him and let him know it.  Suddenly the world was safe again.  And so was he.

I don't exactly know how she did it, but I know exactly what she said.
To me, she said It will be ok.
To him, It already is.

No comments:

Post a Comment