verge (vʉrj)
noun
the edge, brink, or margin (of something): also used figuratively the verge of the forest, on the verge of hysteria

verg′·ing
to tend or incline (to or toward)
to be in the process of change or transition into something else; pass gradually (into) dawn verging into daylight




Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dog Walker Tip #5: Hunters Versus Divas


Tired of walking in the woods and dodging bullets?  Do your dogs pretend they don't know you when you put on your orange hunter-repellant vest and sweat pants?  Do the kids hide your favorite dog-walker-hunting-season cowbell?  Wishing you didn't have to walk commando-style against buildings and backyard fences?  I might have just the solution for you!

All too often I encounter weapon-wielding characters (in poorly styled and fitted camouflage, I might add) while I'm out there trying to just do my job.  Though I do limit my time in the woods during this annual shoot-fest, there are still times that the woods call to me just a bit persistently and I can't overcome the urge to go.  This causes a great dilemma:  how to walk the trails while maintaing Diva standards of style, and also live to tell about it?

The issue has caused great controversy over the years.  Hunters love to hunt.  Dog Walkers love to dog walk.  But neither group is all too happy to see each other out there on the same playground.  Last week I cheerfully chirped hello to a man-shaped silhouette standing in a tree over my head.  I took it from his silent-treatment of me that he was a little irked by my presence.

The issue at hand is how to walk safely while maintaining fashion dignity.  For some reason, Day-Glow orange seems to bring out the worst in designers.  From New York to Paris, it's hard to find anything that is capable of alerting hunters while also speaking to your inner Diva.  In an effort to uphold high fashion standards for my profession, I have resorted to designing my own little number (from my 2009 Fall Dog Walker Hunting Season Collection).  This lovely swing-style reversible cape drapes well and clasps with velcro tabs.  It can double as a saari and is machine washable.  Although not completely bullet-proof, hunters will see you coming and notice the good fit and freedom of movement this garment offers.  Even better, deer, ducks, and pheasants will love seeing you arrive and will cheer your visibility.

Hunting season need not be so controversial.  With a little fashion make-over, dog walkers might not  own the woods, but compared to our camouflaged counterparts, we set your sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment